“Both instrumentally and lyrically, the inspiration came from Peyotoff. He told me he had made the track on a day when he was thinking about how, sometimes, things don’t work out. While that idea is a difficult one to hear, it’s an ever-present one. I feel like we both found a way to write about it from a hopeful perspective, and to affirm that the story continues, regardless of whether or not it appears to go according to plan (ours or anyone else’s). Perhaps the setback/detour is not the end of the story, but a part of a journey in which, sometimes, things do work out.”emawk
Emawk and Peyotoff have demonstrated that their music and art possess a distinctive power capable of momentarily halting the motion of the world.
Each of the 2 artists exists in lanes of their own, not confining to a single genre, emotion, or framework. That’s why this overseas collaboration happened so effortlessly and naturally.
Written after a short winter walk, the idea for the instrumentation of “Jay Bird” just popped into Peyotoff head. Within a brief span of hours, he translated his firsthand encounter with the real-world frost into a rich and soothing beat, brought to life by Emawk’s beautiful lyricism and emotive vocals.
Kwame Nkrumah, aka emawk, is a Boston-born, Kenya-raised artist, songwriter, multi-instrumentalist, and producer. Kwame's versatile and sentimental songwriting has resonated with audiences, forming organic connections with artists like Kacey Musgraves and Erick Arc Elliott (Flatbush Zombies), and more. Notably, Emawk recently co-wrote and co-produced "Gone" by Jorja Smith.
- featured on Spotify's Low Key & Vanguard playlists
- featured on Apple Music's Daydreaming
- 50k followers on Spotify
- support on 50k+ independent playlists
- Interview on Ones To Watch, coverage by CLASH Magazine
- co-written / co-produced "Gone" by Jorja Smith
Peyotoff is the solo project of jazz-trained guitarist Petar Yotov. The producer blends his alluring neo-soul guitar style with future beats elements, instrumental hip hop and jazz all that through the prism of his own experiences. A groove-heavy, but soothing sounds for the soul.
- Featured on Spotify’s lofi beats editorial
- Featured on Apple Music’s BEATstrumentals & Vida Relax editorial
- TIDAL’s Mix da Semana Brazil editorials
- Part of Downtown Records Miles Davies Tribute compilation (2022)
- Support by Indie Shuffle (2x) (article), Acid Stag (article), College Music, Filtr/Ultra Music and Ryan Celsius (playlists)
- #3 hypem Popular Charts for "After Darkness"
- Performed live on Bulgarian National TV and multiple venues in Vienna, Austria
- Radio support on BBC Radio 1 and BBC Radio 6
- Mentioned in CLASH magazine on the rising beat scene in Bulgaria